04 November 2011

Shhh....I have a Secret

Shhh....I have a secret. I did it again on Tuesday. And yesterday. I pretended like I didn't understand when a German person was speaking to me. Yikes!! Does this make me a horrible person? Possibly. to understand why you need to know what's going on in my life. I recently had a baby.  (That deserves a whole other post.) You know it goes; everyone that you encounter thinks they know how to be a better parent than you so they want to give you advise. Generally, in English, I smile and say something like 'I'll keep that in mind'. But, in German I just don't want to. I think it is because I am very unimpressed with German children's behavior. I have not had the greatest experiences with local kids at the bigger playgrounds. To be fair, I'm sure not all German kids act poorly. It can just be so frustrating. Wouldn't it be great when someone tries to give you unsolicited advise you could just pretend like you don't unerstand them?

I want you to check out something interesting that I found. It's a webcam on the Neckar river.

http://www.edingen-neckarhausen.de/webcam/ Its interesting to people watch.

Map of Edigen-Neckarhausen This is a link to a googlemap so you can see where Edingen-Neckarhausen is located.

Edingen-Neckarhausen is right around the corner from Heidelberg. I've been to a bike store there, John's Radhaus, of course I couldn't afford a bike there, but I like to window shop. He is an American that has been living here for like 20 years.

Jill

PS - Sorry if there are spelling errors. My spell check is in German and I am not smart enough to get it back to English.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think it makes you a terrible person although they might not believe you if it's anyone you may have seen around. My husband and I were actually stopped the other day by someone asking directions in German. I don't think she believed him when he said he doesn't speak the language. (Although in his case, he doesn't know much beyond "Ein Pils bitte". I understand bits and pieces but not enough to say I truly understand).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lived here for 9 years and I did that recently. Basically because I was totally NOT interested in listening to how to raise my child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I promisse Nicole, I only do it when its about the kids. After I did it to an Oma a the tram stop I promised myself to never do it again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...